Published Papers – Research Findings -Evidence of Impact
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention – Atlanta, Department of Health and Human Services: Baseline Data from the Nyando Integrated Child Health and Education Project. MMWR – CDC Weekly report – Vol 56 October 22, 2007
- Freeman MC, Quick RE, Abbott DP, Ogutu P, Rheingans R.- 07-03-2009: Increasing equity of access to point ofuse water treatment products through social marketing and entrepreneurship: a case study in Western Kenya. Journal of Water and Health
- Harris JR, Greene SK, Thomas TK, Ndivo R, Okanda J, Masaba R, Nyangau I, Thigpen MC, Hoekstra RM, Quick RE: Effect of point of use water treatment and safe water storage interventions on diarrhea in infants of HIV infected mothers. , 15 October 2009Journal of Infectious Diseases
- Jefferds ME, Ogange L, Owuor M, Cruz K, Person B, Obure A, Suchdev PS, Ruth LJ.: Formative research exploring acceptability, utilization and promotion in order to develop an micronutrient powder (Sprinkles) intervention among Luo families in Western Kenya. Food and Nutrition Bulletin vol 31 (supplement) 2010 – the United Nations University, 2010.
- Parmi Suchdev, Alie Eleveld, Ami Shah, Maria Jefferds, Minal Patel, Aryeh Stein, Barbara Macdonald, Laird Ruth: Sustainability of market based community distribution of Sprinkles in Western Kenya Food and Nutrition Bulletin vol 31, no 2 (supplement) 2010 – the United Nations University, 2010
- Parminder S. SuchdevAmi Shah, Maria Elena D. Jefferds, Alie Eleveld,Minal Patel, Aryeh D. Stein, Barbara Macdonald, Laird Ruth: Sustainability of market based community distribution of sprinkles in Western Kenya. Maternal and Child Nutrition 2012.
- Samuel Loewenberg : Fighting Child Nutrition in Africa through the use of micronutrient supplements. Health Affairs, June 2011
- Julie R. Harris, Minal K. Patel, Patricia Juliao, Parminder S. Suchdev, Laird J. Ruth, Vincent Were, Cliff Ochieng, Sitnah Hamidah Faith, Steven Kola, Ronald Otieno, Ibrahim Sadumah, Alfredo Obure, and Robert Quick: Addressing inequities in access to health products through the use of social marketing, community mobilization and local entrepreneurship in Rural Western Kenya.
International Journal of Population Reserarch Article ID 470598, 25th March 2012
- Frederick KE Grant, Reynaldo Martorell, Rafael Flores-Ayala, Conrad R Cole, Laird J Ruth, UshaRamakrishnan, and Parminder S Suchdev:Comparison of indicators of iron deficiency in Kenyan children. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition – 2012 American Society of Nutrition, 2012
- Suchdev PS, Ruth LJ, Woodruff BA, Mbakaya C, Mandava U, Flores-Ayala R, Jefferds ME, Quick R.: Selling Sprinkles micronutrient powder reduces anemia, iron deficiency and vitamin A deficiency in Western Kenya, a cluster randomized controlled trial, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition –American Society of Nutrition, 2012
- Briere EC, Ryman TK, Cartwright E, Russo ET, Wannemuehler KA, Nygren BL, Kola S, Sadumah I, Ochieng C, Watkins ML, Quick R.: Impact of integration of Hygiene kit distribution with routine immunizations on infant vaccine coverage and water treatment and hand washing practices of Kenyan mothers. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 2012:205 (supplement 1), 2012
- Patel MK, Harris JR, Juliao P, Nygren B, Were V, Kola S, Sadumah I, Faith SH, Otieno R, Obure A, Hoekstra RM, Quick RImpact of a hygiene curriculum and the installation of simple hand washing and drinking water stations in rural Kenyan primary schools on student health and hygiene practices. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 2012 (under review)
- Samuel Loewenberg: Easier than taking vitamins The New York Times, 5th September 2012. http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/05/easier-than-taking-vitamins/
- Benjamin J Silk, Ibrahim Sadumah, Minal K Patel, Vincent Were, Bobbie Person, Julie Harris, Ronald Otieno, Benjamin Nygren, Jennifer Loo, Alie Eleveld, Robert E Quick and Adam L Cohen: A strategy to increase adoption of locally produced ceramic cook stoves in rural Kenyan households. BMC Public Health 2012.
- Ryman TK, Briere EC, Cartwright E, Schlanger K, Wannemuehler KA, Russo ET, Kola S, Sadumah I, Nygren BL, Ochieng C, Quick R, Watkins ML: Integration of routine vaccination and hygiene interventions, a comparison of two strategies in Kenya. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2012.
- Schilling K, Person B, Faith SH, Otieno R, Quick R.: Challenge of promoting interventions to prevent disease in impoverished populations in rural western Kenya – American Journal of Public Health – December 2013
- Foote EM, Sullivan KM, Ruth LJ, Oremo J, Sadumah I, Williams TN, Suchdev PS: Determinants of anaemia among preschool children in rural, western Kenya ;
- Eric M. Foote, Laura Gieraltowski, Tracy Ayers, Ibrahim Sadumah, SitnahHamidah Faith, Benjamin J. Silk, Adam L. Cohen, Vincent Were, James M. Hughes, and Robert E. Quick*; Impact of Locally Produced ceramic cook stoves on respiratory disease in children in Rural Western Kenya The American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene – October 4, 2012.
- Kelly T. Alexander, Clifford Oduor, Elizabeth Nyothach, Kayla F. Laserson,NyaguaraAmek, Alie Eleveld,Linda Mason , Richard Rheingans , CarylBeynon , Aisha Mohammed 7Maurice Ombok, David Obor, Frank Odhiambo, Robert Quickand Penelope A. Phillips-Howard: Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Conditions in Kenyan Rural Schools: Are schools meeting the needs of Menstruating girls: Journal Water – April 9, 2014
- Bobbie Person Owuor m, Ogange L, Jefferds M E, Cohen A: It is good for my family’s health and cooks food in a way that my heart loves; qualitative findings and implications. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2012,
- Janessa M. Graves, Erica D. Finsness, Robert Quick, NICHE Study team, Julie R. Harris, William E. Daniel: Teacher perspectives on implementing and sustaining a handwashing promotion intervention in Western Kenyan primary schools.Int Q Community Health Educ, 2014; Vol. 34(2) 159-170 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/IQ.34.2.d).
- Murphy JL, Ayers TL, Knee J, Oremo J, Odhiambo A, Faith SH, Nyagol RO, Stauber CE, Lantagne DS, Quick RE 2016. Evaluating four measures of water quality in clay pots and plastic safe storage containers in Kenya. Water Research 104: 312-319.
- Graves JM, Daniell WE, Harris JR, Obure AF, Quick R: . Enhancing a safe water intervention with student-created visual aids to promote handwashing behavior in Kenyan primary schools. International Quarterly of Community Health Education 2012; 32(4):307-323.
- Eleanor Fleming, Jared Oremo, Katherine O’Connor, Aloyce Odhiambo, Tun Ye, Simon Oswago, Clement Zeh, Robert Quick and Mary L. Kamb: The Impact of Integration of Rapid Syphilis Testing During Routine Antenatal Services in Rural Kenya. Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2013. Article ID 674584,http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/674584).
- Bobbie Person, Katharine Schilling, Mercy Owuor, Lorraine Ogange, Rob Quick: A Qualitative Evaluation of Hand Drying Practices among Kenyans. PLOS One 2013. 8(9): e74370. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0074370.
- Sunkyung Kim, Allison C Brown , Jennifer Murphy , Jared Oremo , Mercy Owuor , RosebelOuda , Bobbie Person , Robert Quick Evaluation of the Impact of Antimicrobial Hand Towels on Hand Contamination With Escherichia Coli Among Mothers in Kisumu County, Kenya, 2011-2012 Water Res. 2019 Jun 15;157:564-571. doi: 10.1016/j.watres.2019.03.085. Epub 2019 Mar 29
- Kashmira Date,Bobbie Person. Benjamin Nygren, Vincent WereSteve KolaTracy AyersRobert Quick:Evaluation of a Rapid Cholera Response Activity — Nyanza Province, Kenya, 2008. Journal of Infectious Diseases 2012; 208: (suppl 1): S62-S68.
- Murat Sahin, Linda Mason, Kayla Laserson, Kelvin Oruko, Elizabeth Nyothach, Kelly Alexander, Frank Odhiambo, Alie Eleveld, Emily Isiye, Isaac Ngere, Jackton Omoto, Aisha Mohammed, John Vulule, Penelope Phillips-Howard: Adolescent school girls experiences of menstrual cups and pads in Rural Western Kenya, a qualitative study. Waterlines Vol. 34 No. 1 – January 2015
- Slayton RB, Murphy JL, Morris J, Faith SH, Oremo J, Odhiambo A, Ayers T, Feinman SJ, Brown AC, Quick RE.: A cluster-randomized controlled evaluation of the impact of a novel antimicrobial hand towel on the health of children under 2 years old in rural communities in Nyanza Province, Kenya.” the American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene May 2015
- Sarah D. Bennett , Ronald Otieno , Tracy L. Ayers , Aloyce Odhiambo , Sitnah H. Faith ,
Robert Quick: Acceptability and Use of Portable Drinking Water and Hand Washing Stations in Health Care Facilities and their impact on patient hygiene practices, Western Kenya; PLOS ONE | DOI:10.1371/journal.pone.0126916 May 11, 2015
- Penelope A. Phillips-Howard,*Bethany Caruso, Belen Torondel, Garazi Zulaika, Murat Sahin, and MarniSommer: Menstrual Cups and Sanitary pads to reduce school attrition, and sexual transmitted and reproductive tract infections; a cluster randomized controlled feasibility study in rural Western Kenya ; BMJ Open 2016 ;6:e013229doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013229 – Public Health
- Freedman M, Bennett SD, Rainey R, Otieno R, Quick R. Cost analysis of the implementation of portable handwashing and drinking water stations in rural Kenyan health facilities. Water Sanitation and Hygiene for Development 2017; in press.
- LaCon G, Schilling K, Harris J, Person B, Owuor M, Ogange L, Faith S, Quick R. Evaluation of student handwashing practices during a school-based hygiene program in rural western Kenya, 2007. Int Q Community Health Educ, 2017; 37: 121-28.
- Luoto J, Harvey R, Eleveld A, Odhiambo A, Quick R. The Impact of Supply- and Demand-side Interventions Integrated with Antenatal Care on Use of Maternal Health Services, Western Kenya, 2013-201 RAND Work Pap. 2015.
- Fagerli K, O’Connor K, Kim S, Kelley M, Odhiambo A, Faith S, Otieno R, Nygren B, Kamb M, Quick R. Impact of the integration of water treatment, hygiene, nutrition, and clean delivery interventions on maternal health service use. Am J Trop Med Hyg 2017; 96: 1253-60.
- Fleming E, Gaines J, O’Connor K, Ogutu J, Atieno N, Atieno S, Kamb M, Quick R. Can incentives reduce the barriers to use of antenatal care and delivery services in Kenya? Results of a qualitative inquiry. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved 2016; 28 (1):153-174.
- Pilishvilli T, Loo JD, Schrag S, Stanistreet D, Christensen B, Yip F, Nyagol R, Quick R, Sage M, Bruce N. Effectiveness of Six Improved Cookstoves in Reducing Household Air Pollution and Their Acceptability in Rural Western Kenya. 2016 Nov 15; 11(11):e0165529. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0165529
- Kathryn G. Curran, Emma Wells, Samuel J. Crowe, RupaNarra, Jared Oremo, WaqoBoru, Jane Githuku, Mark Obonyo, Kevin M. De Cock, Joel M. Montgomery, LyndahMakayotto, Daniel Langat, Sara A. Lowther, Ciara O’Reilly, ZeinabGura and Jackson Kioko: Systems, supplies, and staff: a mixed methods study of health care workers’ experiences and health facility preparedness during a large national cholera outbreak, Kenya 2015. BMC Public Health (2018) 18:723https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-018-5584-5
- Kelly T. Alexander, Garazi Zulaika, Elizabeth Nyothach, Clifford Oduor, Linda Mason, David Obor, Alie Eleveld, Kayla F. Laserson and Penlope A. Philips Howard, Do Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Conditions in Primary Schools Consistently Support School girls menstrual needs? A Longitudinal Study in Rural Western Kenya. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 7th August 2018.
- Caroline Ochieng, Hassan Haghparast Bidgoli, Neha Batura, Aloyce Odhiambo, Geordan Shannon, Andrew Copas, Tom Palmer, Sarah Dickin, Stacey Noel, Matthew Fielding, Sangoro Onyango, Sara Odero, Alie Eleveld, Alex Mwaki FedraVanhuyse and Jolene Skordis, Conditional Cashs transfers to retain rural Kenyan Women in the Continuum of care during pregnancy, birth and the postanatal period: protocol for a cluster controlled trial, BMC 2019 Open Access
- Regula Meierhofer, Pascal Rubli. Jared Oremo, Aloyce Odhiambo, Does Activated Silver Reduce Recontamination Risks in the Resevoirs of Ceramic Filters. Water 2019, 11, 1108; doi:10.3390/w11051108 mdpi.com/journal/water
- Caroline A. Ochieng, Aloyce S Odhiambo, Barriers to formal health care seeking during pregnancy, childbirth and postnatal period: a qualitative study in Siaya County in rural Kenya
BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth volume 19, Article number: 339 (2019)
- Anna L. Murray, Julie A. Napotnik, Justine S. Rayner, Antonia Mendoza, Brittany Mitro, Joshua Norville, Sitnah H. Faith, Alie Eleveld, Kristen L. Jellison, Daniele S. Lantagne: Evaluation of consistent use, barriers to use, and microbiological effectiveness of three prototype household water treatment technologies in Haiti, Kenya, and Nicaragua, No.: STOTEN-D-19-11280R1, Journal Science of the Total Environment, October 2019 (Elsevier) Science of the Total Environment 718 (2020) 134685
- Penelope A. Phillips-Howard, Elizabeth Nyothach, Feiko O terKuile, Jackton Omoto, Duolao Wang, Clement Zeh, Clayton Onyango, Linda Mason, Kelly T. Alexander, Frank Odhiambo, Alie Eleveld, Aisha Mohammed, Anna M. van Eijk, Rhiannon Tudor Edwards, John Vulule, Brian Faragher, Kayla F. LasersonMenstrual cups and sanitary pads to reduce school attrition, and sexually transmitted and reproductive tract infections: a cluster randomized controlled feasibility study in ruralWestern Kenya – BMJ Open 2016;6:e013229. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013229
- Garazi Zulaika , Daniel Kwaro, Elizabeth Nyothach, Duolao Wang, Emily Zielinski-Gutierrez, Linda Mason, Alie Eleveld, Tao Chen1, Emily Kerubo, Annemieke van Eijk, Cheryl Pace, David Obor, Jane Juma, Boaz Oyaro, Louis Niessen, Godfrey Bigogo, Isaac Ngere5, Carl Henry1, Maxwell Majiwa2, Clayton O. Onyango4,Feiko O. terKuile and Penelope A. Phillips-Howard; Menstrual cups and cash transfer to reduce sexual and reproductive harm and school dropout in adolescent schoolgirls: study protocol of a cluster-randomized controlled trial in western Kenya; BMC Public Health (2019) 19:1317https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-7594-3
- Neha Batura, Jolene Skordis, Tom Palmer, Aloyce Odiambo, Andrew Copas, Fedra Vanhuyse, Sarah Dickin, Alie Eleveld, Alex Mwaki, Caroline Ochieng, Hassan Haghparast-Bidgoli, Cost-effectiveness of conditional cash transfers to retain women in the continuum of care during pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period: protocol for an economic evaluation of the Afya trial in KenyaBMJ Open. http://bmjopen.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmjopen-2019-032161
- Samuel Dorevitch , Kendall Anderson, Abhilasha Shrestha , Dorothy Wright ,Aloyce Odhiambo , Jared Oremo and Ira Heimler Solar Powered Microplasma-Generated Ozone:Assessment of a Novel Point-of-Use Drinking Water Treatment Method; Journal of Environmental. Research and. Public Health 2020, 17, 1858
- Colin Hendrickson , Jared Oremo , Oscar Oluoch Akello , Simon Bunde ,Isaac Rayola , David Akello , Daniel Akwiri , Sung-Jin Park , Samuel Dorevitch; Decentralized solar-powered drinking water ozonation inWestern Kenya: an evaluation of disinfection efficacyGates Open Research 2020, 4:56 Last updated: 29 MAY 2020 – https://doi.org/10.12688/gatesopenres.13138.1
- Jedidiah S. Snyder, Graeme Prentice-Mott, Charles Boera, Alex Mwaki,, Kelly T. Alexander
and Matthew C. Freeman,The Sustainability and Scalability of Private Sector Sanitation Delivery in Urban Informal Settlement Schools: A Mixed Methods Follow Up of a
Randomized Trial in Nairobi, Kenya;International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, Published 23 July 2020
- Sunkyung Kim, Mark Laughlin, Jamae Morris, Ronald Otieno, Aloyce Odhiambo, Jared Oremo, Jay Graham, Mitsuaki Hirai, Emma Wells, Colin Basler, Anna Okello3, Almea Matanock, Alie Eleveld, Robert Quick; Evaluation of a Social Marketing Program on Access to Health Products in Kenya, 2014-2016; Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development, 9 Sept 2020
- Dorevitch et al : Let there be light, and water! A solar-powered water treatment system for the developing world: Gates Open Research 16 December 2020